Hay there! At Young Horses, we strive to push the boundaries of games in order to create experiences that players haven’t seen before. We want to create innovative, charming, joyful entertainment for a broad audience.
We strongly encourage people of color, women, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and non-binary people, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. Young Horses is an equal opportunity workplace and welcomes everyone to our team. If you need reasonable adjustments at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
We’re looking for a few good horses to join us in our Chicago studio who…
- Have a spirit of playfulness and humor.
- Can collaborate with and trust their team.
- Are well-rounded with a variety of interests.
- Are driven by curiosity and enjoy new ideas and experiences.
Current Open Positions:
What Young Horses Offers Full-Time Employees:
- A small-team environment making weird, charming, joyful games.
- Ownership of key creative decisions related to your work.
- Flexible work arrangement opportunities.
- Open PTO that we actually use and encourage.
- 12 weeks fully paid parental leave.
- Sustainable work hours. (40 hr/week, often less)
- Health + dental insurance.
- Employer-provided Simple IRA with 3% matching contributions.
- Relocation assistance to Chicago. Due to ongoing pandemic concerns, relocation time is negotiable, with options for remote work.
How to apply:
Please send your portfolio and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line matching the position to which you are applying. (i.e. Programmer or 3D Artist)
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example – she/her, he/him, they/them, etc).
Programmer (Full-Time, Salaried)
We’re looking for a generalist programmer working in the areas of gameplay programming and console and mobile platform development. Young Horses is a small and collaborative studio and you will be working closely with fellow team members from design, art, and sound.
- Create gameplay features within our current proprietary engine and a possible future Unreal 5 framework.
- Debug, modify, and extend existing code and console/mobile ports.
- Work with designers and artists on implementing their work and provide technical and creative feedback.
- 2+ years of professional C++ experience.
- Strong debugging skills.
- Passionate about creating unique, inventive games.
- Excellent communication, creative collaboration and teamwork skills.
- Curious, self-aware, and self-motivated.
- 1+ shipped projects.
Nice to Have:
- Unreal Engine 4 experience.
- Experience releasing on at least one non-desktop computer console and/or mobile device.
- Creating or modifying automated build systems for Console/Mobile.
- Console certification submission experience.
- Python experience.
- 1+ shipped commercial games.
For each position
We’re a team of generalists, so any additional skills and experience are worth mentioning.
- Web development.
- Video editing.
- Community management.
- User experience design.
- Audio work.
- Art creation unrelated to position.